At Emerson Avenue Community Garden
Seasonal topics. Hands-on learning at every class. Beginners Are Welcome!
Join us for Organic Gardening Workshops at Emerson Avenue Community Garden, Emerson Ave. at 80th Place, Los Angeles, CA 90045, on the grounds of Wright STEAM Magnet.
Instructors: UCCE Master Gardeners: Lucinda Zimmermann and Dana Morgan. Contact: email@example.com
Cost: $50 for the series of 5 classes or $15/class. Parents and teachers at WISH Charter, Wright STEAM Magnet, and plot holders at EACG pay $45.00 for the series. Fees support a variety of educational programs at the garden. A link to Paypal is available on our website http://www.eacgc.org. To reserve space in all five classes, select “Spring Gardening Series.” Children age 12-18 accompanied by a paid adult: $25.00/series or $8/class. No refunds. Your donation goes to EACGC, a non-profit organization. Cash or checks made out to EACGC will be accepted at each class if space is available. Class size is limited to 20, and registration is complete when payment is received.
- 22 Garden Tour and Introductions. Planning and preparing a spring garden bed. Understanding seed packets, choosing the right tool for your task. Hands on: Starting seeds in containers and preparing a garden bed for spring planting.
- March 8 Vegetable Botany and Container Gardening. Choosing seasonal plants and seeds appropriate for our climate. Transplanting seedlings. Hands on: Direct seeding and transplanting.
- March 22 Integrated Pest Management (IPM) and weed identification. Saving water and using best practices for irrigation. Hands on: Olla construction.
- April 26 Tomato Tips. Choosing tomato varieties, starting seeds indoors and controlling pests and diseases organically. Harvesting, storing, and preserving tomatoes. Hands on: Saving seeds and planting and staking seedlings.
- May 17 2015 — The Year of Soil! Master Gardener Don Smith will lead this class focused on building soil for healthy crops. Learn ways to use compost and start a worm bin.